following information was presented to the City of Hector by Hector
Resident Curtis Sampson on January 6,
(The following information was presented to the City of Hector by Hector Resident Curtis Sampson on January 6, 1980)
Hector was founded in 1878 when the Hastings and Dakota Railway Company constructed the railroad on the north side of the original town site. The 10 block town site survey was completed September 14, 1878 on land owned by the Hastings and Dakota Railway Company, but a number of enterprising businessmen were already “squatting” on the site by then.
The site of Hector was one of the most unlikely spots that could be imagined for the location of a thriving, active village. Marshes and mud holes furnished a home for muskrats and refuge for waterfowl. In the firm places just north and west of the site, wound the desolate track of the old Cedar Mill, Hutchinson, Hector, Plainfield, Beaver Falls stage route. The Hector post state stop was kept by John Baker in the northeast corner of the southwest quarter of Section 2, about 4 miles northeast of the village site. The Plainfield post office was kept by J.B. Parkins in the northeast corner of the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 30, about one and one-fourth miles southwest of the village site.
When the railroad came through, the nearest building to the site was the home of August Mahn, which was about 1,500 feet northwest of the depot and near the site of the present Dave Spreiter residence. The August Prelwitz home in Section 29 was 3,000 feet southeast of the depot and on the site of the present William Roebke residence.
The first building built on the town site was a warehouse constructed by Charles Lang on the site that later became the site of the V.H. Smith Elevator which was between the present Fullerton Lumber yard office and the railroad track.
In July of 1878, Marion Abbott moved his stock of goods
(general merchandise) to Hector from
Also in July, Hogland and Stranberg constructed a shanty near the depot, which was used as a blacksmith shop and later relocated to lots 2 and 3 of block 8, the present Hector Mirror site. Cornish and Bourne started the first lumber yard with an office by the depot. This business was soon moved to the present Fullerton Lumber Yard site and was operated for many years as the McGregor Lumber Yard.
In September 1878, W.D. Griffith came from
G.H. (Charley) Nixon moved to Hector from
The first dwelling house was constructed by Oscar H. Baker in the fall of 1878 on lots 1 and 4 of block 7, (the present bank site) and his son, Guy, was born in this house, the first child born on the town site.
G.H. Nixon, O.P. Peterson and John Trueman were appointed commissioners to organize the village after Hector incorporated by Act of the Legislature approved the February 23, 1881. They were in charge of the election held March 11, 1881 and elected President was W.D. Griffith. G.H. Nixon, O.P. Peterson, (who came to Hector in 1878 and entered the firm of Peterson, Nelson and Company) and Bart W. Schoulweller, who opened a general store in the front of the Oscar Baker store, were elected trustees. Elected recorder was H. Simmons and elected treasurer was Marion Abbott. Andrew Strom was elected justice. He came to Hector in 1879 from Beaver Falls and constructed a combined store and dwelling house on lot 5 of block 7 (first lot south of Dickman Drug) that in 1880 was stocked with drugs and general merchandise. Jones Chapman, who had the Fancy Grocery business on lot 15, block 3 (present Parris Law Office site) was elected the village’s first constable.
The village was named after the