book "ABOVE SEATTLE" by Robert
Alki Point, part of West Seattle, was where the first setters in this region landed. They beheld a centuries-old forest of giant trees so tall they "swept the stars." Logging felled nearly all the giants. But Ferdinand Scmitz, a banker and realtor, and his wife, Emma, recognized the forest heritage of Puget Sound would one day be lost. so they deeded a wooded ravine to the city in 1909 "for the purpose of perserving forever a reminder of the magnificent cathedral of forest" that so awed the first settlers. This ravine is known as Schmitz Park and can be seen at center right.
Go To Seattle Page