1941, A view painting by Blair Art Studios, a great place to obtain paintings, notice detail of hanger areas.
Island may have supported only temporary habitation during fishing,
pili grass, and seasonal cultivation of crops due to the lack of water
wells. In the years that followed, the island was used for raising
including sheep, goats, pigs and rabbits. The island’s present name
Dr. Seth Porter Ford, a physician who owned the island in the
Sugar cane cultivation at the turn of the 20th century was made
by the drilling of an artesian well on the island. The United States
the island in several parcels between 1906 and 1918. For a time, the
and the Navy shared the island as an aviation installation. By the late
1930s, the Army completed its move to Hickam and the Navy retained
On December 7, 1941, Ford Island acquired a special place in history when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. The attack focused on the Pacific Fleet ships moored around the island and on the hangars and airfield on the island itself. In 1962, the island’s airfield was decommissioned as an active naval airfield.
of the 4,672-foot long Admiral Clarey Bridge in 1998, the island became
accessible to visitors and potential development. Later that year, the
decommissioned USS Missouri was berthed on Ford Island, and in 1999
opened as a memorial and museum, honoring sailors and marines who
for our country during time of war. These significant milestones
to the Navy's vision of developing Ford Island to centralize operations
in the Pearl Harbor area for overall efficiency, modernize facilities
reduce maintenance costs and congestion on the Pearl Harbor base.
Go to: Hawaii Page